Content material of the fabric
- Expert QA
- Measure the Curtain Length You Need
- Drapery Sizes
- 4. Drill Larger Holes Add Anchors
- Things You’ll Need
- Using a Rod and Brackets
- Installing a Track for Curtains
- How to Calculate the Right Measurements for Hanging Curtains
- DONT skimp on the curtain width
- 6. Add Your Rod Curtain Panels
- Step 4
- Power Tools for Beginners Series
- Step 1: Determine how high to hang curtain rods
- How Height Impacts Curtain Rod Placement
- Affiliate Disclosure
Measure the Curtain Size You Want
The second step is that you might want to measure the size of the curtain and curtain rod you want. You are able to do this by measuring the space between the ground and the ceiling.
This course of is beneficial for measuring the size of the curtain that you’ll use. To create this cover, you possibly can add about two inches from the precise size.
After measuring the size, you can begin measuring the broad of the curtain that you’ll use. On this stage, modify the size to your mattress.
Don’t forget so as to add an additional two inches with the intention to hold superbly framed your mattress.
Contemplate the correct dimension, size, and width drapes on your area. There are lots of store-bought choices or your room might require custom-made drapes to fulfill particular heights, room, or window specs.
- Within the majority of circumstances, the ideal length for drapes is lengthy sufficient to only kiss the ground. Clearly the place you hold your curtain rod will have an effect. For those who’re buying ready-made drapes, it is going to be a little bit of a balancing act to find out what size to get and the place to hold the rod.
- For a standard, formal look, think about drapes that puddle a few inches on the ground. This look is not as fashionable because it as soon as was however it’s inherently luxurious and may nonetheless work in formal areas.
- Don’t permit your drapes to hold above the ground. Once they cease a few inches above the ground, it will probably make the ceilings look decrease.
- For drapes to look full, the panels ought to have a mixed width of at the very least double the width of the window. You probably have two panels, every one ought to equal the width of the window.
- Remember that some materials hold in another way than others, so gentle materials might require extra fullness, whereas heavy materials might require rather less.
4. Drill Bigger Holes Add Anchors
When you’ve made pilot holes on the opposite facet of the window utilizing the opposite half of your template (because of this you marked 10.5″ from BOTH sides of the cardboard) you possibly can proceed. For those who hit any studs, skip to the following step. In any other case, you’ll want so as to add anchors, that are sometimes offered along with your curtain rod
Swap out your drill bit for the right dimension that works along with your anchors (ours wanted a 3/16″ drill bit) and drill into every premade pilot gap to make bigger holes on your anchors. Bonus – the template acts as an effective way to catch drywall mud!
With your entire anchor-ready holes drilled, gently faucet in your anchors in with a hammer or mallet. For those who’re capable of push your anchors into the wall by hand, you’re making your holes too massive! Change to a smaller bit or hold your drill steadier as you drill. Free anchors could cause your rod to sag or fall out of the wall over time.
Issues You may Want
Utilizing a Rod and Brackets
- Measuring tape
- Brackets and a rod for the ceiling
- Hole wall anchors (molly bolts) or screws
- Drill bits and drill
Putting in a Monitor for Curtains
- Measuring tape
- Monitor bracket meant for the ceiling
- Hole wall anchors (molly bolts) or screws
- Drill bits and drill
- Curtain with small hooks
Easy methods to Calculate the Proper Measurements for Hanging Curtains
Earlier than you begin hanging curtains, make sure that the panels are broad sufficient to cover your home’s windows. You do not need to be rudely woke up by a beam of daylight that the curtains do not block, so measure your window dimensions earlier than buying or making your curtains. The full width of your curtain panels ought to add as much as about two occasions the window’s width.
Selecting the right curtain size on your home windows can also be vital. Apart from wanting awkward, too-small curtains visually shorten your area, making ceilings seem decrease. Too-small curtains additionally make the room look smaller total. Curtains that drag on the ground may pose a tripping hazard and collect dust more easily. For the best center floor, curtains ought to hover simply above the ground.
To search out the correct curtain size, measure from the ground to the place you may hold the rod (normally 4 to six inches above the window body). In any other case, hanging the curtain rod just under the ceiling is an easy design trick that makes your ceilings appear taller. Curtains are available commonplace lengths like 63, 84, and 96 inches. Select one closest to your measurement, erring on the facet of some inches longer than shorter.
Moreover, you should definitely select a curtain rod that's wider than your window. This enables curtains to be pulled fully to the facet of the window and makes the area really feel bigger. The rod itself ought to be 8 to 12 inches longer than the window's width, which permits for 4 to six inches on both facet.19 Impactful Ways to Dress Multiple Windows in a Row
DONT skimp on the curtain width
Contemplate the width of your precise curtains once you’re buying, even in the event you don’t ever plan on closing them. We hardly ever pull our curtains all the best way closed (we’ve got blinds and have a tendency to make use of these as an alternative), however we at all times make sure that to get curtains that theoretically may be pulled closed to cowl the window.
Why? Your curtains will really feel disproportionate in the event that they’re actually skinny or don’t bunch up in any respect on both facet of the window. If you wish to create a full, luxurious really feel to your window trimmings, get curtains that may totally cowl the window with even just a little additional width. Many curtains have additional broad choices, which is the right answer for these massive home windows.
Backside line? Simply you should definitely verify how broad the curtains are earlier than ordering so that you don’t unintentionally find yourself with a skimpy-looking setup!
6. Add Your Rod Curtain Panels
With each brackets secured to the wall, you possibly can hold your rod along with your curtain panel already connected. Now you’re achieved… except your panels require any hemming. Or you could possibly simply disguise the bottoms behind a mattress like we did beneath. Ha!
When you’ve factored in curtain size, window peak, and width, proceed to put in the curtain rod bracket.
- Maintain a bracket as much as the wall in order that the place of the rod strains up along with your preliminary markings.
- Use a pencil to point the place the screws ought to go.
- Predrill the pilot holes at these marks.
- Insert the plastic wall anchors, align the bracket with the anchors, insert the screws, and tighten till the bracket is flush with the wall.
- Repeat the method for the opposite bracket.
In case your pole is longer than 4 toes, think about including a middle help to stop sagging.
Energy Instruments for Learners Collection
- How to use a miter saw
- How to use a jigsaw
- How to use a circular saw
- How to use a power roller
- How to use a paint sprayer
Step 1: Decide how excessive to hold curtain rods
Questioning the place to hold curtain rods? It's important to mount curtain rods in the correct spot, or your perfect-length curtains won’t hold correctly. A rod that sits too near the window could make an area appear smaller than it truly is. To make sure good curtain placement, measure the depth of your window molding to find out the best dimension on your curtain brackets. You'll need curtain brackets that reach previous the depth of your trim. In the event that they're too shallow, your curtains received't hold correctly.
Utilizing a pencil and tape measure, mark the specified place of your curtain brackets, so the rod is about 4 to six inches above your window body, ensuring the curtains will barely brush the ground or hover simply above it. The curtain brackets ought to be positioned about 6 inches from the skin fringe of the window body to permit loads of pure gentle.
How Peak Impacts Curtain Rod Placement
Use these tricks to ensure you place your rods on the proper peak:
- For normal drapes that hold on both facet of a window, the standard peak is midway between the highest of the window casing and the ceiling. This is applicable if there are greater than 12 inches between the window trim and ceiling.
- For cathedral ceilings, go away roughly 4 to 6 inches above the window trim as a tenet.
- It doesn’t matter what the ceiling peak, the minimal distance from the highest of the window casing to the curtain rod is 2 inches.
- To create the phantasm of peak, mount the material rods near the ceiling. That is significantly vital to do if the room has low ceilings.
- Use these similar guidelines when the home windows are arched.
We might obtain compensation for purchases made via this website, at no additional value to the purchaser.
MaterialSix.com is a participant within the Amazon Providers LLC Associates Program, an affiliate promoting program designed to offer a method for websites to earn promoting charges by promoting and linking to Amazon.com.