Content material of the fabric
- $1.50 $5 per square foot (without staining) $2 $7 per square foot (with staining) $1,200 $2,400 Average refinishing project
- Recent Posts
- 4 Tips for Saving Some Cash on The Cost to Refinish Wood Flooring
- 1. Do Your Own Prep Work
- 2. Be Smart When Picking Your Contractor
- 3. Take Care of the Clean Up Yourself
- How Much Does Floor Refinishing Cost?
- How long does it take to have floors refinished?
- Additional Considerations and Costs
- About The Author
- Steph Gregerson
- Questions to Ask About Refinishing Hardwood Floors
- Cost of Refinishing Hardwood Floors by Finish Type
- Oil-Based Polyurethane
- Water-Based Polyurethane
- Cost to Wax Hardwood Floors
- Penetrating Oil Finish for Wood
- Swedish Finish Hardwood Floor Care
- Hard Wax Oil for Wood Floors
- Labor Costs
- Professional Vs. DIY
- Can I change the color of my hardwood floors without sanding?
- Cost to Finish Wood Floors By Type
- Factors Affecting Cost
- Serving Areas
- Is It Cheaper To Refinish Or Replace Floors?
- Cost to Refinish Hardwood Floors: DIY vs. Hiring a Professional
- What Does Your Hardwood Floor Refinishing Cost Include?
- The Process of Refinishing Hardwood Floors
- Top Coating
- Cost breakdown by component
- Hiring a professional hardwood flooring contractor
$1.50 $5 per sq. foot (with out staining) $2 $7 per sq. foot (with staining) $1,200 $2,400 Common refinishing undertaking
The common value to refinish hardwood flooring is $2 to $6 per sq. foot or $1,200 to $2,400. Refinishing hardwood stairs prices $25 to $85 per step. The fee to buff and recoat hardwood flooring is $1.00 to $2.50 per sq. foot. DIY prices to redo and resurface wooden floors your self is $600 to $1,100.
Get free estimates from contractors close to you or view our hardwood flooring refinishing value calculator beneath.
Get free estimates
4 Suggestions for Saving Some Money on The Value to Refinish Wooden Flooring
1. Do Your Personal Prep Work
Even when you aren’t tremendous useful, prep work is fairly easy—it simply requires some muscle. Every room must be utterly cleared out, together with all furnishings and private objects. Doing this your self will prevent some cash.
If that you must pull up carpet that’s on high of an current hardwood floor, you are able to do so your self and save. Most elderly homes don’t have low-VOC flooring put in, although, so make certain to put on a masks, gloves, and goggles to guard your self when pulling up any types of flooring.
2. Be Good When Selecting Your Contractor
Make sure that to learn evaluations of different flooring stores and ask questions on their work! It’s widespread to discover a vary of costs in your native marketplace for labor. Possibly you’re in search of somebody that focuses on eco-friendly flooring and practices, or possibly you need a small firm that’s native and has the most effective evaluations. Everyone seems to be completely different, so have a number of questions prepared.
3. Take Care of the Clear Up Your self
Refinishing hardwood flooring is a messy course of. When you’re OK cleansing mud off your surfaces, you’ll be capable of avoid wasting cash on the cleanup.
How A lot Does Flooring Refinishing Value?
Putting in new flooring prices a median of $6 to $10 per sq. foot, with some householders spending as little as $3 or as a lot as $18 per sq. foot relying on the supplies they select. Set up and supplies will value you between $1,660 and $4,620 for a 330 sq. foot lounge.
How lengthy does it take to have flooring refinished?
It usually takes between two and 5 days to refinish hardwood flooring, relying on the kind of polyurethane you employ (oil or water-based), and the scale and situation of your flooring.
Extra Concerns and Prices
- Some householders select to refinish the hardwood flooring on their very own. This reduces the price considerably. Nonetheless, we suggest hiring an expert to do it. Hardwood flooring are mild, so that you threat damaging them closely and having to switch them, which prices much more than refinishing them. You’ll be able to, nonetheless, do a number of issues to attenuate the price, akin to eradicating the furnishings within the room and any decor, work, or different components on the partitions.
- Earlier than settling for one contractor, attempt to get not less than three estimates. This will provide you with a greater thought of the refinishing value and offer you a greater choice of providers and options.
- As soon as the contractor begins engaged on the refinishing, be ready for lots of mud, mess, and a robust odor. You gained’t be capable of stroll on the ground for as much as 24 hours after making use of the end. When you’re refinishing the flooring in most or all rooms, take into account settling in an alternate location.
- When you stay in a damp local weather, understand that the flooring will take longer to dry.
- Some older flooring have a heavy wax end that takes longer to take away, which is able to add to the general value of refinishing. Take into account the added value of wax removing in case your flooring have a heavier wax end.
- Test if the contractor you choose has a contractor’s license and insurance coverage that may defend your property in case of any injury.
- Earlier than hiring a contractor, ask if they’ve expertise with the precise hardwood and sort of end you may have in your house or if they’ve labored on related initiatives.
- By no means pay the total worth upfront. As an alternative, pay 30% as an advance fee, 30% when the contractor brings the supplies to your property, and the remaining after the refinishing is finished. Be sure to’re glad with the outcomes.
- If in case you have furnishings within the room, it’s going to have to be eliminated earlier than beginning the refinishing course of. It’s possible you’ll do it your self or rent a separate service to do it.
- You’ll be able to hire a flooring sander for a value between $50 to $70 per day or $250 to $300 per week.
- Take into account that some unique woods react in several moisture ranges, whereas others can burnish throughout sanding.
About The Creator
Steph is a guide nerd, rule follower, and pizza lover who cannot get sufficient of enjoying exterior. She was raised on the ice rinks of MN and at present resides in sunny San Diego. As a contract author, she loves analysis, producing content material, and organizing data for all kinds of shoppers. She at present has not less than 10 browser home windows open always.
Inquiries to Ask About Refinishing Hardwood Flooring
Asking an expert the correct questions on flooring refinishing will help decrease miscommunication, get monetary savings, and get the specified outcomes. Listed here are some inquiries to ask about the price to refinish hardwood flooring.
- Are you able to present a listing of references?
- How lengthy have you ever been in enterprise?
- Does the estimate embrace the price of transferring furnishings and cleansing?
- How lengthy will the refinishing take?
- Do you supply a guaranty?
- Are you insured and bonded?
- What are the fee plan choices?
- How will you defend my house from all of the mud?
- How quickly can I stroll on the ground after it’s refinished?
- What sort of stain and coating is greatest for my flooring?
- How do you deal with injury that occurs through the job?
Value of Refinishing Hardwood Flooring by End Sort
Most end sorts are bought in one-gallon buckets for $20 to $550 per gallon. Every product covers a unique floor dimension, that means the end can be utilized a number of occasions earlier than it’s important to buy one other bundle. The kind of end you choose determines the look your hardwood flooring can have. They might be satin, matte, shiny, or one other shade that offers the ground a easy, shiny, or textured look.
|End Sort||Value per Gallon (Supplies Solely)|
|Oil-Primarily based Polyurethane||$20 – $50|
|Water-Primarily based Polyurethane||$30 – $55|
|Wax||$35 – $55|
|Penetrating Oil End||$40 – $100|
|Swedish End||$50 – $80|
|Onerous Wax Oil||$70 – $550|
Oil-Primarily based Polyurethane
Oil-based polyurethane prices round $20 to $50 per gallon. It’s essentially the most generally used end sort used due to its sturdiness and the normal look it offers to the hardwood flooring. It’s probably the most sturdy finishes that may take heavy visitors and is extraordinarily simple to work with as any mistake will be mounted alongside the best way. Whenever you apply oil-based polyurethane, it’s going to dry inside 24 hours and switch into an amber shade over time.
Water-Primarily based Polyurethane
Water-based polyurethane prices $30 to $55 per gallon. It’s the second commonest end sort after oil-based polyurethane due to its affordability and quick software. It’s simple to use and offers the flooring a high-gloss end, making it a preferred alternative. Most water-based finishes dry inside two to 4 days, so the undertaking will take much less time to finish than with another finishes.
Value to Wax Hardwood Flooring
Liquid wax is also called paste wax and will be discovered for $35 to $55 per gallon. It’s buffed into the hardwood materials after which unfold all through the ground. As soon as it hardens, it’s buffed as soon as once more. Utilizing wax finishes offers the flooring a extra pure look, so they’re very fashionable with historic renovations. An enormous benefit of wax finishes is the flexibility to buff in additional wax on excessive visitors areas to keep up the up to date look throughout the entire flooring.
Penetrating Oil End for Wooden
Penetrating oil end for wooden prices $40 to $100 per gallon. It’s referred to as penetrating as a result of it enters the wooden, oxidizes, and hardens from inside. This protects the flooring on the within somewhat than including a protecting layer on the floor, which is the case with different finishes. This reinforces the wooden as properly, rising its sturdiness and sturdiness. Penetrating oils are costly as a result of they’ve little or no unstable elements in them that will hurt the flooring or folks’s well being throughout its use.
Swedish End Hardwood Flooring Care
Also referred to as acid-cured, Swedish finishes value $50 to $80 per gallon. They usually come as a one-component or two-component end with an acid catalyst and alcohol solvent. As soon as utilized, the primary coat dries inside two to 4 hours in order that the subsequent coat will be utilized after 24 to 48 hours. Because the molecules of the end bond with the wooden cells, Swedish finishes are very sturdy. They’re additionally very flammable due to the alcohol and have a really sturdy odor initially.
Onerous Wax Oil for Wooden Flooring
Onerous wax oil is usually used on extra unique flooring because the elements are lighter and gentler on the wooden, so the price is quite a bit greater than different finishes. They’re probably the most costly ones in the marketplace, at the price of $70 to $550 per gallon. 1 / 4 of a gallon covers round 800 sq.ft. of floor, so it lasts you longer than another, cheaper finishes. Onerous wax oils are rubbed into the ground. As soon as utilized, the oil enters the ground and hardens in it. This course of leaves the wax on high and offers the ground a shiny look. It is available in numerous finishes, from flat to matte and glossy, permitting householders to decide on a shade that most closely fits their style.
When you’re utilizing an expert that can assist you refinish your hardwood flooring, understand that your location performs a big function in figuring out the price of labor. It’s possible you’ll need to think about using a wooden refinishing calculator to assist in giving you a greater sense of precise value to your space.
Labor prices may also rely upon the situation of your flooring. Wooden flooring with deep scratches that want loads of TLC or that cowl a large space usually value extra to refinish. The strategy issues, as properly. Take into account that whereas the dustless methodology prices extra, it additionally will help you get pleasure from your new wooden floors sooner as a result of it does not take as lengthy to finish. The gathering of mud occurs throughout sanding, so professionals spend much less time cleansing up afterwards.
Skilled Vs. DIY
Your resolution whether or not to name an expert or go the DIY route ought to take a number of elements into consideration. When the situation of your flooring is usually a matter of grime and dirt, going the DIY route can actually be definitely worth the effort. Nonetheless, in case your wooden floors want a full-scale refinishing, chances are you’ll need to cease and assume the DIY course of by fastidiously. Given the complicated, messy course of — probably expensive in its proper — it could be a wise thought to name on the assistance of pros who usually refinish wooden floors.
Can I alter the colour of my hardwood flooring with out sanding?
Minwax® PolyShades® is a straightforward technique to change the colour of your at present stained or polyurethane completed wooden. There’s no stripping or heavy sanding essential to take away the previous end!
Value to End Wooden Flooring By Sort
Count on to pay $3-$5 per sq. foot to get an oak flooring refinished. Refinishing value for different widespread kinds of hardwood flooring akin to cherry, parquet flooring, and engineered hardwood is similar.
Elements Affecting Value
Typically, for a fundamental refinishing job, it’s going to take a contractor about 4 to 5 hours per 100 sq. toes of house. Plenty of elements can have an effect on the general value of refinishing:
Dimension of the ground: Typically, smaller rooms are going to be dearer to refinish per sq. foot. It’s because the gear used to sand down a hardwood flooring is normally fairly massive, and it isn’t simple to get it into or maneuver it by tight areas. Some small bogs, powder rooms, and laundry rooms could also be too small to refinish in any respect with out the assistance of a specialist with the required gear. Alternatively, you possibly can typically get a reduction on a undertaking to refinish a bigger house or a number of rooms on the identical go to. Bigger initiatives signify extra money for much less effort to contractors, and so they’re normally keen to supply reductions to safe these jobs.
Native labor prices: Typically, contracting corporations positioned in massive metropolitan areas are going to cost extra for a hardwood refinishing undertaking, largely as a result of the demand for his or her providers is greater. There may also be a purely regional issue at work; for instance, labor within the Northeast is usually dearer than it’s within the South.
Firm ability: Generally, it is possible for you to to seek out corporations providing hardwood refinishing providers at extraordinarily low costs. Sadly, you normally get precisely what you pay for, and bargain-basement affords might result in shoddy work or jobs that take longer than they need to. Repairs to those errors can find yourself costing greater than the unique undertaking.
Shifting furnishings: The room you refinish will have to be cleared of any furnishings or furnishings earlier than beginning the undertaking. That is usually not included within the estimate for a undertaking, and if the contractors need to care for this themselves, they might cost a premium for the service. This cannot solely lengthen the undertaking however can even inflate the price. You might be able to get monetary savings by doing the furniture-moving your self.
Eradicating carpet or different flooring: If the hardwood you need to have refinished is beneath previous carpet, vinyl flooring, or one other materials, the refinishing contractor will cost further to take away it for you. Be sure to get an estimate on these prices. You’ll seemingly discover that doing this work your self is an effective manner to economize.
Repairs: If a flooring is broken past a sure level, refinishing it gained't be efficient. On this case, the ground will have to be repaired earlier than it may be refinished. Most refinishers will gladly do that work however for a further charge that could be greater than that charged by a handyman or carpenter. The higher the structural situation of the ground, the less expensive the refinishing job might be.
Cleanup: Refinishing a hardwood flooring is usually a messy course of, and except the cleanup is specified within the contractor's bid, chances are you’ll have to think about the price of a cleansing service when figuring out the overall expense of the undertaking.
Proudly Putting in and Refinishing Hardwood Flooring in Charlotte, Ballantyne, Lake Norman, Huntersville, Cornelius, Davidson, Mooresville, Denver, Harmony, Matthews, Weddington, and Waxhaw, North Carolina, in addition to areas in South Carolina.
Is It Cheaper To Refinish Or Change Flooring?
Recoloring your hardwood flooring is nearly all the time cheaper than portray them. The brand new ones would require further wooden and would require ripping up and hauling away current hardwood. This may nonetheless be cheaper than changing your complete flooring, even in case you have this.
Value to Refinish Hardwood Flooring: DIY vs. Hiring a Skilled
It could be tempting to DIY this project to avoid wasting on the price to refinish hardwood flooring, however it’s extra difficult than it seems to be. Refinishing hardwood flooring is a time-consuming, messy, and expensive job. On common, anticipate to pay from $500 to $1,000 to refinish hardwood flooring by yourself. The fee to hire a drum flooring sander is between $50 and $80 per day or $100 to $200 for a weekend rental. You’ll want greater than only a drum sander to finish the undertaking. The costs of different supplies akin to sandpaper, belt sander, edger, nails, stain, topcoat, brushes, rollers, security gear, store vacuum, cleansing supplies, and extra will shortly add up. Take into account that sanding and ending errors will be costly. Put together to pay two to a few occasions the worth to switch the flooring than you’d have paid an expert to do the refinishing undertaking for you.Refinishing your flooring?Some jobs are higher left to the professionals. Get free, no-commitment estimates from licensed flooring contractors close to you. Find local pros +
What Does Your Hardwood Flooring Refinishing Value Embrace?
Now that you’ve got a greater thought of what your hardwood flooring refinishing value may seem like, you most likely need to know what you’ll get out of that. Although the precise specs can fluctuate primarily based on the contractor of your alternative, your funds will usually embrace:
- Hardwood floor sanding to eradicate marks and easy out the look
- Hardwood floor staining to offer your flooring a refreshed, up to date look
- Hardwood floor polishing so as to add shine and supply safety from future injury
Relying on the wood floor refinishing company you select, your estimate may additionally embrace prices for cleanup and web site preparation, which primarily consists of relocating any furnishings. We suggest you fastidiously overview your proposal to make certain of what’s included earlier than finalizing your contract.
The Technique of Refinishing Hardwood Flooring
Beneath, we’ll define the steps your skilled will take to be able to restore your flooring to a ravishing shine. These are the identical steps you’d take when you select to do that job by yourself.
Earlier than your flooring will be refinished, they’ll have to be absolutely cleaned and ready. Contractors will clear and dry your flooring, paying particular consideration to any protruding nails or different objects that might impede the refinishing course of. If in case you have shoe molding, it’s going to seemingly be eliminated throughout this step.
Subsequent, your contractor will use a big sanding machine to sand the highest layer off of your flooring, in preparation for the refinishing. Most owners discover this a part of the method to be essentially the most cumbersome, just because it’s loud and messy; you possibly can anticipate a high quality layer of mud to cowl each floor of your property throughout this step. When sanding, it’s crucial to deal with each inch of flooring; even proper as much as the wall, to make sure a good end as soon as the method is full.
After your flooring has been stripped and sanded down, it’s time to use the stain you’ve chosen. This may be achieved with a brush or a curler, and is the best a part of the method.
Lastly, a high coat might be utilized as a protectant to your flooring. This may seal your flooring, stopping minor injury, scuffs and water stains.
Value breakdown by part
Every flooring refinishing undertaking will look a bit completely different cost-wide, however listed below are the principle objects you’ll find yourself paying for:
- Labor: Professionally refinishing wooden floors is a labor-intensive course of, and you’ll anticipate labor prices to account for 80% of your professional estimate.
- Prep work: The quantity of prep work required will fluctuate primarily based in your flooring’ situation and may embrace deep cleanings and changing broken flooring. Changing broken flooring can value wherever between $1.75-$9 or more per square foot primarily based on the set up’s complexity and the kind of wooden flooring.
- Sanding: You’ll want a number of rounds of sanding for any refinishing undertaking. If you’d like a lighter stain, you’ll want much more rounds of sanding to take away the darkish stain. You’ll be able to anticipate to pay round $0.78 per square foot for every spherical of sanding.
- Stain: After sanding down the flooring, they’ll have to be stained with the specified end, both water or oil-based. Staining can require a number of rounds of software and prices between $1-$3 per square foot primarily based on the stain’s high quality.
Hiring an expert hardwood flooring contractor
- Get not less than three free quotes in-person from flooring execs to check.
- Seek for licensed contractors with hardwood flooring refinishing expertise.
- For unique hardwood flooring, search for professionals with expertise refinishing that species of wooden.
- Take a look at their evaluations on HomeGuide, Google, and the Higher Enterprise Bureau (BBB).
- Choose corporations which might be insured, bonded, and have been in enterprise for longer than 5 years.
- Keep away from deciding on the bottom quote as high quality might endure.
- Get an in depth estimate, contract, and guarantee in writing earlier than the work begins.
- By no means pay in full earlier than the undertaking begins. Observe a fee plan as an alternative.